Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Ruins of California Review

I want to be a rich hippie.

The Ruins of California, by Martha Sherrill boarded me on the plane of my mind and flew me all the way to the Westcoast in California during the 1970's. Parts of California at this time were extremely glamorous and flawed, but the main character, Inez was fascinated with her father's life in the fast lane, or slow lane if you count the Marijuana. Reading this book submerged me into the culture of Westcoastians during the 70's, and I was not disappointed. I love culture, and family saga's. A few tears are good, and handfuls of laughs help as well.

Inez's parents divorce in the 60's, so Inez spends summers with her father in San Francisco, California. Her father is anything but bland and boring. He is a math genius, while being stylish and blessed in the looks department. Women come in and out of her father, Paul's life, which at times bothers Inez. In this book, I found so much love, but so much static between father and daughter. Paul loves Inez, and that was evident as I read Ruins of California, but just like any relationship there are rocky places, and misunderstandings. Feelings are hurt, and ego's are bruised. Just like any human being, Paul is not perfect, and neither is Inez. As I read this book, I thought of me and my dad's relationship and realized we have a really good one. Even if we fight sometimes, and even if we have let each other down, we still love each other.

The theme in this book popped right out of the pages, and that was family. Family is there no matter what circumstance, and they might not always be the people you would have chosen, but they are all you have. Being in a family is hard work. People are alway's getting their feelings hurt because when you love someone, you allow that person to break down all your barriers, all your walls. Family is on every page of this book.

Sherill's writing style could get a little boring at times, but over all, I really enjoyed it. The story was believable and meaningful. The characters were very different, very new. The traits of these characters was unlike any character I've ever ..."met."

I reccomend this book to someone who is having trouble understanding their family life. Someone who loves their father, but does not always agree with his decisions. This book is for a teenage girl who is growing into a woman, and needs help discovering who she is.

No comments: